Sunday, April 10, 2011

Penne ala….. What you never?

So my wife loves pasta and I don't.....but for some strange reason I can take almost any pasta and a few ingredients and make it something amazing.  She found a BOGO coupon for this Ronzoni garden delight pasta and since we eat that brands wheat pasta (the only pasta I try to eat btw) I figured why not try it.

 While we are standing in the store pondering at what type of pasta to buy, I see they have the brand in penne pasta. So I ask the misses if she likes penne ala vodka, she then informs me she's never had it; my jaw dropped. How in the world can she claim to be a pasta lover and has never had penne ala vodka (one pasta dish I really like)? So I was determined to change that and since we had no dinner plan it was changing tonight. So I quickly went through my head trying to remember everything I knew was in my favorite penne ala vodka dish. So we went and got some smoked turkey sausage(trying to eat healthier), and I pretty much had everything else at home besides the vodka so we stop at a liquor store on the way home and got some; Platinum distilled 7 times vodka it was like 2 bucks and was pretty good, thanks for the recommendation liquor store lady!

We were ready to get started as soon as we got home. This is one of the first times I wrote down measurements (when I cook I NEVER measure) or write an ingredients list for that matter, but I guess I'm going to have to start since I wanted to start a blog about all the things I love..... So the great wifey that God blessed me with helped with the writing of the recipe.

Now I make the food how I like it, while being inspired by the original dish, weather it be this dish or any other I post keep this in mind(might make that my warning at the end of all my recipes just for the nit-pickers) if you cook it come back and let me know what you think.

Twice as good: Penne Ala Vodka

First off you can use jar or can sauce, but I ask why? You can make a quick but still amazing tomato sauce here’s how;


Tomato Sauce:
Mirepoix 1:1:2
1st carrots ¼ c
2nd celery ¼ c
3rd red onion ½ c

Sweat in evoo in the order above, just until the veggies get a bit soft.
Add evoo as needed and a little more right before tossing in;

3 med Bay leaves
1 tbsp each Basil, Oregano, & Parsley
¼ tbsp each Rosemary, Thyme, & ground blk pepper
¾ tbsp Marjoram
Dash kosher sea salt
1 can (15oz) Tomato sauce
7 oz Diced tomatoes
2 tbsp Minced garlic
Splash red wine
Dash cayenne (optional)

Add to the above mirepoix, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Then food process ½ the sauce to make smooth, return to simmer for 20 minutes.

Sausage:
7oz Smoked turkey sausage

Slice into rounds, put in med skillet w/evoo and heat on med heat until brown on each side. Drain and set aside.
Make penne as directed on box. Toss in evoo and ground blk pepper when cooked.


Penne ala Vodka Sauce:

1 ½ c of above tomato sauce
¾ c heavy cream (almost room temp)
½ c premium vodka
Handful of parm cheese

Put all in the skillet the sausage was cooked in and reduce by ¼ - ½ remove from heat, cool slightly. Add cream and parm heat on med-low heat, stir until one even color, and sauce is heated evenly. Add penne and sausage. Plate and top with parsley.


Eat & Enjoy!!


P.s. The Lady loved the Penne Ala Vodka….she said it’s her new favorite pasta dish. I love putting a smile on her face and a lil something in her belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment