Sunday, May 22, 2011

BBQ Month!!!

Well I came upon a tweet stating that May is national BBQ month, so of course it being one of my top 3 foods I'm gonna celebrate! First day of May  me and the Misses hit up Best NY Pizza to split a personal BBQ Chicken pizza, wasn't bad but definitely nothing to write home about. Now most of their food is amazing but this barley held me over for a week on my BBQ fix.

We were out looking for Farmers Markets and yard sales both without any real luck. Stopped at a Farmers Market on the corner of Henderson Rd. And Linebaugh needless to say we won't be back, although the price was right the quality was way wrong! So for the first time ever my urbanspoon app came in handy and actually gave me a listing for a place I wanted to go without me searching for the name specifically. We headed down Linebaugh to a place called Cally"s Sticky Bones BBQ, we found it without too much trouble.......


We pull into a parking spot in the little strip mall and walk in, the place is decorated nice, but that means nothing to a BBQ connoisseur like myself, I will buy BBQ from a rusted out road side smoker if it taste good enough. We place our orders for BBQ Beef Brisket sandwiches, some sides and we take our seats, and notice the place is empty...




 We notice that they were having some big pig roast off that day so I figure this could explain the emptiness of the place. They have awards and plaques all around from cook offs they have won. Soon the food was placed in front of us.


Like I said we both got the beef brisket sandwiches and I got cole slaw and beans the misses went with potato salad.


They serve their BBQ dry, and I prefer it that way. It let's me taste the quality of the meat, the smoke, and the rub, and it gives me the option to put whatever sauce I want on it. Plus most all BBQ places I've been to have a plethora of sauce to choose from, this stood true for here.


Most of their sauces were the same as every place else, nothing to write home about but over all good. Then I tried their swine sauce, and it was a nice mix of carolina style sauce mixed with some southern BBQ flare. So make sure to try them all when you stop by.



The brisket had a nice smoke flavor, but needed more bark in my opinion. Over all I was very pleased with the quality of the meat, not too greasy, not too much smoke flavor, and not too much added flavor the quality of the meat and wood really shined through. The sandwich was just the right size too, plus add in the side of slaw and beans the lunch basket was perfect. I can say that the meat made up for where the sides lack, now they were good just nothing I was wanting to get the recipe too, but do we really go to a BBQ place for the sides?


Heres something I'm going to try and do when I write a review of a restaurant, get a copy of the menu and scan it for you guys! I know I like seeing a menu befor I venture to a new place so wish me luck on getting/remembering to do this everytime.




They have great prices and add in a daily special you can't go wrong! So if you're craving BBQ and are down by Linebaugh/Armenia area, definitely give Cally's Sticky Bones BBQ a try located at; 2313 W. Linebaugh Ave. Tampa, Fl 33612



Cally's Sticky Bones BBQ on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment